Child Safety Policy
The Norwich Public Library welcomes children of all ages to use the library. We are committed to making the library an inviting and fun place for children. Special programs, story times and book groups are offered to help children develop a love of books and learning. The following policy is in place to protect children who use the library and to provide for the general welfare of all library patrons.
- Responsibility for the behavior and well being of children using the library rests with the parent, guardian or caregiver assigned by the parent and not with the library staff.
- Library staff monitor the behavior of patrons as a whole, but can’t take responsibility for the care and behavior of each child. The staff does not take the place of a parent, act as caregiver or babysitter, nor assume responsibility for children in the library.
- The Library requests that parents to have a contingency plan for their children should the library close early due to weather or other emergency. Children should carry parent/guardian phone numbers in case of emergency.
- Children in fourth grade and under must be accompanied and adequately supervised by an adult, guardian or responsible caregiver during their entire stay in the library.
- Children in fifth grade and up may use the library unattended to do research, homework, attend a library program, use the computer or to select books and other materials.
- We ask that parents/guardians review the Library’s Rules of Conduct with their child(ren) to ensure everyone understands and can adhere to them.
- The library staff is particularly concerned about children who may be left unattended when the library closes. When an unattended child is at the library at closing time, Library staff will make every effort to contact parents/guardian/caregivers of the child. If no one can be found, Library staff will contact the Norwich Police Dept. Library staff is not permitted to remain after hours with an unattended child or provide transportation to another location.
- The library realizes that special circumstances may arise on occasion. The Library Director and Children’s Librarian will address these issues on an individual basis.
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact Lucinda Walker at 649-1184.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees, October 27, 2003
Revised Sept. 2005, August 2016