Registration is now open for WinterRead2021: Books Like Us at NPL
#BooksLikeUs #WinterRead2021 #NPLWinterReadingChallenge
Books Like Us, an initiative of Simon and Schuster, is a celebration of diversity, harnessing the transformative power of seeing oneself reflected in a book. This winter, the Norwich Public Library is one of thousands of school and public libraries that are inviting their communities to explore these books from authors spanning an array of diverse backgrounds.
NPL has set a community goal of 15,000 minutes of reading for January or 10 hours per patron (20 minutes per day). Registering for this #NPLWinterReading Challenge by January 1 enters you into a raffle for a $20 Norwich Bookstore gift card.
How the Challenge Works
- Visit our Beanstack website. Click the “register” button if you need to create an account or click the “sign in” button to access your existing account.
- Alternatively, use the Beanstack Tracker App on your phone or other mobile device (apple | android) to create, sign in, and manage your account.
- Within one account, you can set up and manage reader profiles for all of your family members!
Log your Reading and Learn about an Author
- Pre-register for the challenge. It is open for all ages!
- This challenge uses Logging Badges and Activity Badges.
- Click to log a book that you read. You can read as little as one, or as many as you like.
- You will earn a logging badge for every hour logged.
- Take the opportunity to learn more about the featured diverse authors or choose an NPL recommended author and answer brief questions to earn an activity badge. (See recommended reading lists for suggestions.)
- Complete the challenge by reading 10 hours and earning one activity badge
- Register by January 1 and be entered for a chance to win a gift card to the Norwich Bookstore.
- Completers will be entered in a raffle to win a basket of Books Like Us goodies.
S & S awarded prizes will include book collections and virtual author visits. Ten (10) winning schools or libraries will each get a collection of fifty (50) books from the “Books Like Us” collection.
- Go to beanstack.org
- Choose “Register an Individual or Family”.
- Follow the prompts to register yourself and/or any family members.
Register with App:
- Download the Beanstack Tracker app in your app store.
- Tap Get Started and select “Yup!” when asked if your library uses Beanstack.
- Type “Norwich Public Library.”
- Tap “Don’t have an account – sign-up”
- Choose a username and password
- Enter your name
- Follow the prompts to complete registration and add family readers.
Don’t do online?
Let us know by calling 802-649-1184 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Staff can sign you up and provide you with a paper log for keeping track of your reading.
For more detailed instructions on signing up and using Beanstack online see “A Guide to Beanstack at NPL” (pdf).
Three good reasons to use the Beanstack app:
- Scan the books you are reading right into the app using the ISBN
- Use the app timer to keep track of reading time
- Families who read together can credit their book to all their Readers’ accounts with one easy click
To view a video about using the app – –Downloading & Using the Beanstack Tracker App made by our friends at the North Richland Hills Library