Computer and Internet Use Policies and Guidelines
The Norwich Public Library is committed to providing public access to the Internet and the valuable informational, educational and cultural resources it provides for the community. Four Internet accessible computers are available for users. You do not need a library card in order to use the computers. There is no age requirement to use the computers.
The Norwich Public Library does not monitor or censor the information accessible though the Internet. Please be aware that not all sites on the Internet provide information that is accurate, complete or current. Some sites provide information that may be considered controversial, offensive or inappropriate. Library patrons access the Internet at their own discretion.
The library has two Chrome laptop computers. These laptops offer Internet access via a Chrome browser and Google apps. You must be 18 years of age or older to use the adult laptop. If you don’t have a library card, you must leave a valid driver’s license with the staff.
The Norwich Public Library does not monitor or censor the information your child can access though the Internet. It is the responsibility of the parent/legal guardian to ensure that their child uses the Internet in an appropriate and safe manner. Parents/legal guardians are encouraged to be present and supervise their child’s Internet use at the Library. As is the case with all other library materials, any restriction of a child’s access to the Internet is the responsibility of the child’s parent/legal guardian.
Library patrons may utilize the word processing application, Microsoft Word, on the four computers; files may be saved onto a memory drive transferred via email. Word-processed files may also be printed for a $.15 per page fee.
Computer Use Guidelines
All computer users are responsible for reading and complying with the Norwich Public Library Computer and Internet Use Policies and Computer Use Guidelines.
- All patrons must sign in at the circulation desk.
- Users are limited to 30 minutes use, unless no one is waiting.
- Only one person may use the computer at a time.
- Computers are to be turned on and off by library staff only.
- Please report any computer problems to library staff.
After School Computer Area Behavior
This policy is in effect the following days/times: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 3:15 – 5:30 pm, and Wednesday 2:15 – 5:30 pm.
- Please use headphones if your computer work requires sound.
- Please keep your voice down.
- Only librarians turn on and off computers—not users. If you have any questions, please ask a librarian.
- When your 30-minute session is up and there is someone else waiting, Desk Staff will ask you to close out and promptly leave the computer area.
- Please do not hang around the computer area.
- Please only one person per one computer at a time.
- If staff speaks to you about your behavior more than once, you will be asked to sign off from the computer, and you will lose your computer privileges for the following day.
IF YOU ARE UNDER 17 YEARS OLD:
You are allowed ONE ½ hour slot a day (includes early release days).
- After 5:30 pm on Mondays & Thursdays
- School vacations
- Snow days
Any damage to the computer or its peripheral devices is the responsibility of the user. Abuse of the equipment or the service will result in the user being denied further access to the service. Malicious damage may result in prosecution.
Patrons must agree to not engage in activity that is illegal, malicious or slanderous. They must agree not to use the Internet as a means to offend, harass, intimidate or threaten any person or group. Inappropriate behavior may result in the termination of computer use.
Wireless Information @ the Norwich Library
The Library offers free 24/7 wireless Internet access via ECFiber. There is no password needed to sign on. While we can’t promise there will always be someone available to assist with setting up wireless access on your computer, we will try! In the end however, you are the person responsible for setting up your equipment.
Wireless printing is available. Attach the item you want to print and email it to: email@example.com (for black & white) or firstname.lastname@example.org (for color.) Printouts are currently $.15/page for black & white and $.25/page for color. Please pay at the Circulation Desk. If you need assistance, please ask to speak to a librarian.